EARLIEST RETURN DATES
TEACHERS ~ FRIDAY, SEPT. 22
STUDENTS ~ MONDAY, SEPT. 25
We know many of you are still facing challenges from Hurricane Irma, including power outages, water issues, intermittent cell phone service, gas shortages, home repairs and cleanup, or even making the decision of when to head back home. We, too, are dealing with many of these same issues in our school system.
At this time, the earliest student return date would be Monday, September 25th, with all teachers returning to school sites on Friday, September 22nd. We have had staff working 24/7 to ready our schools for opening. However, the following conditions continue to make it difficult to open at this time:
• Uncertainty of power – we currently have only 49 of 54 school sites with power
• The boil water notice for the entire county impacts our school water fountains and food preparations, ongoing water pressure issues, and the county’s request to restrict water use countywide
• Ongoing sewage system issues countywide are causing backups in our schools while not in use, and the return of 7,000 employees and 48,000 students and the associated demand put on the system could make that worse
• Need to still deep clean the 29 schools that sheltered evacuees, housed pets and had sewage issues
• 6 schools continue to serve as shelters for guests and personnel assisting with essential services to our county
• Fuel scarcity for parents and staff as well as district vehicles including our 350 school buses that transport 23,500 students each day
• With significant flooding in many areas, the safety of our students waiting in the dark at flooded bus stops remains a concern
• Lack of traffic control devices on major roadways
• Students, parents, and staff with damage or an inability to get into their homes need more time to be ready to get to school or work
We are currently reviewing the makeup days and requesting waivers from the state for some of those days. Please refer to our website for some out-of-school learning resources (www.collierschools.com) and know that we will work flexibly with students on routines and assignments when school resumes.
We are #CCPSStrong and look forward to getting Back to the Classroom Together as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience. Please be safe and continue to follow our communication channels for future updates. Click here for additional Staff Information.
Please follow our district website at www.collierschools.com, and our social media.