Most career certificate programs require that entering students (unless exempt) take the Tests of Adult Basic Education (TABE) prior to registration. TABE is a computerized reading, mathematics, and language basic skills exam, which takes approximately three hours to complete.
Wednesday – 7:30 am & 5:30 pm
Thursday – 12:00 pm
If a prospective student does not achieve the Florida Department of Education (DOE) exit requirements on the initial test the student will:
-receive at least sixty hours of instruction before retesting when using the same level;
-be recommended for retesting by the lab instructor, after completion of remediation;
-pay tuition for the term
-The retesting fee is $8; currently registered students are not required to pay this fee.
Basic Skills Exit Requirements
The Florida Legislature mandates that each adult student enrolled in a career certificate program must meet minimum basic skills (reading, mathematics, and language) levels before receiving a career certificate of completion for the program (unless exempt). The Florida DOE has established minimum grade level standards for each of the career certificate programs. In most cases, students who desire to enter these programs must take the TABE and score within two grade levels of the required standard prior to entering the program (unless
exempt). After entering the program, a student not meeting the exit grade level requirements is given the opportunity to upgrade his/her skills in order to achieve the required grade levels prior to completion of the program. A student will not receive a career certificate of completion until he/she has met exit TABE scores (unless exempt)
– Students who have earned an associate degree or higher from an accredited institution. Official documentation is required. Students with foreign degrees from non-English speaking countries must present translated and evaluated documents.
– Students who present FCAT (Grade 10), SAT, ACT, or CPT/PERT scores which exempt them from developmental education placement as outlined in Degree Programs and College Credit Certificate Programs are exempt from testing for career certificate programs. Any score presented which is lower than the score needed for exemption will require the student to be tested on the appropriate TABE subtest(s). The scores must have been obtained within the past two years.
– Students who have successfully completed developmental education course requirements. Any skill area which has not been met will require the student to be tested on the appropriate TABE subtest(s).
– All students who entered 9th grade in a Florida public school in the 2003-2004 school year, or any year thereafter, and earned a standard diploma from a Florida public high school.
– All students who are serving as active duty members of any branch of the United States Armed Forces.